About Us | Ages and Stages | Terms | Reading with your Child | Sitemap

Terms used to describe speech and language personnel

Terms used to describe speech and language personnel

Audiologist - A professional who has completed a qualifying degree and/or certification courses and is registered with the College of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists of Ontario (CASLPO). An audiologist is able to complete tests to determine level of hearing, and to provide rehabilitation services to persons with hearing loss. An Audiologist may also be qualified to prescribe equipment and devices to enhance hearing.

Communicative Disorders Assistant (CDA) - A graduate of a community college Communicative Disorders Assistant Program. The CDA may deliver programs to children under the direction of and supervision of a Speech-Language Pathologist who has assessed the child and developed the program.

Sign Language Interpreter - Individuals who have been trained to use sign language for a person with a hearing impairment. An interpreter may be assigned to an individual or group to translate information.

Speech Assistant or Hearing Assistant - These terms are used to describe support personnel who are working under the direction and supervision of either a Speech-Language Pathologist or Audiologist

Speech Teacher - Until recently Teachers could take extra courses which would qualify them to deliver speech remediation programs. Some school boards in Ontario continue to utilize Speech Teachers in the delivery of programs to children.

Speech Therapist - A common term used to describe a Speech-Language Pathologist.

Speech-Language Pathologist - An individual with a university degree, usually at the Masters level, who is registered with the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario, and is qualified to assess speech, language and voice disorders and prescribe and implement therapeutic measures.

5 To the top

Language Express ©Copyright 2008 • Contact us by email
please call to refer your child (age two is not too soon!): 1-888-503-8885 or 613-283-2742
June 23, 2008 •
Disclaimer • Webmaster Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit Web Site